Last night, I was listening to a message called “The Perfect Will of God,” taught by Pastor Brian Brodersen. He discussed the importance of understanding that God has a general will for humanity and a personal will for each of us.
These are the clues, he said, to deciphering God’s perfect “personal” will for us:
1. An INCLINATION within us towards something + an ENABLING (that is, the gifting, or ability, God gives us to do something)
2. An OPPORTUNITY
3. CONFIRMATION. But note, the confirmation, or affirmation, is not always clear. When it is not, here are some ways to tease it out:.
1. Being in the Word, looking for clarity through scriptural revelations.
2. Activating your faith.
3. Seeking unbiased Godly counsel.
4. Taking an honest assessment of your circumstances, both favorable and unfavorable. In fact, the unfavorable circumstances sometimes place us right in the center of God’s will for us.
In whatever way and to whatever degree the clues reveal themselves, “there is always the necessity of faith,” Brodersen says. “God lays out the future plan in a general and a personal way. He gives us just enough (affirmation) to activate our faith and get us to move.”